Employment at the Chamber
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR - Job Description
The Big Bear Chamber of Commerce offers a unique opportunity to our next Executive Director: to live in a pristine mountain environment and work in a highly visible and influential position devoting full-time support of the business community.
The Executive Director is responsible for the daily operation of the Chamber office, providing leadership to the staff, volunteers and community, guiding an active program aimed at improving the business and the economic climate of the Big Bear Valley. The Executive Director is responsible to the Board of Directors and reports directly to the Chairman of the Board. He/she is responsible to the Board for the full range of activities including: coordination of programs, organizational structure and procedures, motivation of staff and volunteers, budgeting and monitoring of income and expenditures, maintenance of membership, employment, training and supervision of staff, maintenance of quarters and long-range planning.
Desired Experience and Education
- Business management experience, preferably from trade association, economic development or non-profit sector
- Proven Executive with demonstrated ability to provide dynamic internal and external leadership to achieve revenue objectives
- Business person with track record of involvement at the leadership level in community organizations, trade associations or similar entities
- Experience in soliciting and securing sponsorship and fundraising dollars
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain a positive reputation and high profile presence in the community on behalf of an organization
- Successful background in planning and executing major fundraising events
- Knowledge and understanding of economic development and political dynamics, particularly in a small town and/or resort environment
- An individual who is passionate about the success of business and the quality of life in the community
- Experienced in serving a variety of constituencies, including volunteer staff
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience that demonstrates a consistent track record of producing results for a membership organization.
- Successful candidate must be a proven collaborative leader and passionate advocate for driving excellence in current programs while developing new programs and initiatives that will benefit members and the business community.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Identify and create opportunities to grow the Chamber and support the business community through innovative ideas and practices
- Nurture and form mutually beneficial partnerships with other business and community organizations
- Develop and execute sponsorship and fundraising strategies that further the Chamber’s mission and financial resources
- Develop long-term goals to continuously support the growth and development of business success in the Big Bear Valley
- Develop and oversee the general finances and annual operating budget, in concert with the Vice Chair of Finance and internal leadership
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with business and community leaders to align with Chamber projects, programs and initiatives
- Promote the Chamber’s position as the voice of business to local, county and state government
- Lead fundraising events and strategies
- Promote a working environment of excellence, collaboration and professional standards
- Hire and Manage Chamber staff
- Develop strategic planning goals in concert with the Board of Directors
- Plan and execute monthly Board of Director meetings, periodic Executive Committee meetings and annual Board Retreat in concert with the Chairman of the Board
- Seek opportunities to increase the exposure and accomplishments of the Chamber via effective use of media and other means of communications
How to Apply:
Submit completed Job Description and resume with salary requirements to the Big Bear Chamber of Commerce, P.O. Box 2860, Big Bear Lake, CA 92315. Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Deadline for Applications: All applications must be received at Chamber no later than October 16, 2017 at 4:00 pm.