Our Business is Your Success
Every year the Chamber focuses its efforts in key areas to promote economic vitality for the business community. The following are programs and projects undertaken by our core committees to continue our mission to make business better in Big Bear.
Representation on the Government Affairs & Regional Traffic Advisory Committee (RTAC-GAC)
Committee holds ongoing monthly meeting with the City, County, State Assembly Rep, Congress Rep, Senator Rep and other local agencies to ensure the Chamber is kept informed and updated on current and future projects, legislation, and activities that may impact business and also meets with law enforcement, Forest Service, Mountain Transit, SQMD and Caltrans to continue to work on traffic and road conditions. This part of the committee focuses on reducing traffic problems and limiting the amount of road closures on our major roads.
The RTAC-GAC Committee:
- Helps hold Candidate Forums to inform the community on the key issues involved in our local elections;
- Opposes utility rate increases;
- Opposed California’s attempt to institute a service sales tax on recreation activities;
- Successfully worked with Caltrans to ensure the Big Bear Bridge project did not close the Dam or cause unnecessary burdens on the business community; Ensured that the collapse of the 330 took 7 months instead of 2 years;
- Acquired 12 freeway directional signs approved to indicate the way to Big Bear;
- Works with City and law enforcement to alleviate traffic problems during events; and
- Works with the SQAMD, City and Bear Valley Electric Service to secure electric car charging points in Big Bear.
- Established a “Shop Big Bear Program.”
- Met with each of the six business areas of Big Bear: Fawnskin, Moonridge, Big Bear City, Village, Big Bear Lake – West, and Big Bear Lake – Blvd., to promote communication among businesses and look for programs and project opportunities on which to partner and foster economic development.
- Upgraded printed newsletter to a quarterly E-newsletter.
- Established a weekly Business Update E-Blast to keep members well informed.
- Offered Online business management and staff training courses for members through www.BigBearChamber.com.
- Manage the Ambassador Program
- Extended the Chamber’s Networking Mixer schedule from April through November.
- Constantly explores better ways to communicate with members.
- Publish an annual Membership Directory and Relocation Guide.
- Always on the lookout for valuable benefits for members.